My indoor/outdoor thermometer stopped working properly, and I thought it would be nice to replace it with a device that could also measure humidity, since that has a strong effect on how hot or cold it feels. However, most of the commercially available ones are either of dubious quality, or have absurdly overcomplicated displays. Why would I buy something like that when I can build one of equal quality myself, with a display just as complicated, and for no less money?! It's also a good excuse to buy another Raspberry Pi, since version 3 became available earlier this year with built-in WiFi, which should ameliorate the biggest problem in getting them networked.
Raspberry Pis have a standard I2C bus, and there are lots of I2C sensors available. To keep things simple, I chose to use a couple of BME280s, which combine temperature, humidity and pressure (feature creep is a good start to a project) sensors into a single package only a couple of mm in size. They are available as modules with the sensor and supporting circuitry on a tiny PCB, which is good because soldering one by hand would be impossible.
For use outdoors, the sensor needs to be protected from wind, rain and sunlight. To accomplish this I constructed a small enclosure out of acrylic. The enclosure should be white to reflect light, but I only had black acrylic, so I painted it. I drilled some holes in the sides to improve airflow. It is mounted about 1m away from the Pi, which is quite a long way for I2C, so I used twisted-pair cable, twisting Vdd with SDA, and GND with SCL. This helps to keep noise off the bus, allowing it to work reliably over this sort of distance. If it was even further away then it might have needed shielding too, or more ground wires.
Since an official and quite nice looking touchscreen has been made available for the Raspberry Pi recently, I bought one to try it out. Although touch input isn't necessary just to show temperature, I could make use of it to add a few gratuitous features. The display screws neatly to the Pi itself, and has some extra holes on the back that can be used to mount it to something - a wall in this case. To mount it I made a couple of brackets out of some scraps of carbon fibre that I had lying around (which is why the brackets have some extraneous holes in them). The black acrylic that covers the rear of the display is part of a Pimoroni case that was sent to me along with the display itself. This wasn't really useful, but it does look a bit neater than the bare metal underneath. There were some other parts of that case that were not required at all, but I made use of them by recycling them into the sensor enclosure.
WebIOPi doesn't come with support for the BME280, so I wrote a driver for it. It was fairly easy to write because the datasheet has code samples for the important parts (in C, but easily translated to Python). You can download it here:BME280_driver.zip
Given that I have a whole 7" display to fill, but only figures from three sensors to fill it, I took the next step and charted the values over time. The server reads the sensors once a minute and stores the values in a SQLite database, then sends a whole bunch of readings at once to the client. On the client side I used Chartist.js for the charts (which isn't the most feature-complete charting library available, but is very well written). To make use of the touchscreen, the time period that the charts show is selectable. You can download the server and client code below (the copy of Chartist.js it contains has some optimizations I made to speed it up when drawing a chart with >1000 points [1 point per minute for a whole day]):Weather_Station_client+server.zip
Charting the values lets me know if I should expect to encounter ice when I leave the house in the morning, and gives me some idea of what the weather is going to be like for the rest of the day, so it's not entirely frivolous complexity. You might notice the extra button in the top right corner. This puts the display into power saving mode, so I can turn it off at night. I wanted it to turn off the status LEDs on the Pi too, but on the new Raspberry Pi 3, the power LED can no longer be turned off (an unfortunate side-effect of the built-in WiFi). I simply covered the LEDs permanently with a bit of tape instead.
Pressure is normally measured in hectopascals (or the equivalent millibars). I used kilopascals instead because then the y-axis labels only need to be three digits long instead of four. The indoor/outdoor pressure values should be identical, but actually differ by a small amount. This is due to the sensors not being perfectly accurate. There are similar discrepancies in temperature and humidity, but those are masked by the much larger real difference between conditions inside and outside.
Here are some screenshots, giving a better view of the actual data, starting with the time scale set to one day.